About Entrepreneurship Development Cell (EDC)
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India has established ‘MHRD’s Innovation Cell (MIC) to systematically foster the culture of Innovation amongst all Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The primary mandate of MIC is to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by supporting them to work with new ideas and transform them into prototypes while they are informative years.
MIC has envisioned encouraging creation of ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IICs)’ across selected HEIs. A network of these IICs will be established to promote innovation in the Institution through multitudinous modes leading to an innovation promotion eco-system in the campuses.
EDC is also a step in the direction of encouraging entrepreneurship among students from all fields. Experts from academia and Industry will address the students during EDP programmes, and guide them to turn their entrepreneurship ideas into reality.
Entrepreneurship Development Cell (EDC) is working since last 4 years and Institution Innovation Council (IIC) was formed on 28th May, 2021 with the following strategic intent:
1. To create a vibrant local innovation ecosystem by establishing start-up infrastructure such as accelerator, incubators, and research and development spaces.
2. To create a conducive environment in the State leveraging its strengths which lies in its natural resources and human resources particularly the tribal areas.
3. To enable the citizens of the state to be associated directly or indirectly with the startups to have a higher quality of life
4. To promoting gender equality by encouraging women in entrepreneurship.
5. To enable the citizens of the State to be associated directly or indirectly with the startups to have a higher quality of life.
Function of IIC
1. To conduct various Innovation, IPR and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by MIC in time bound fashion.
2. To identify and reward innovations and share success stories.
3. To organize periodic workshops/ seminars/ interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, professionals and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
4. To network with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
5. To create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by institution’s faculty and students.
6. To organize Hackathons, idea competition, mini-challenges etc. with the involvement of industries.